Doors Do Swing Both Ways
905 words long
It's a handy place to put your stuff, but are you sure it's safe?
this fictionette is in very good company and had a tasty lunch
- 905 wds. long
As promised--as hoped--here's the fourth Friday Fictionette for January, which was to have gone up on the 22nd but instead I present to you today: "Doors Do Swing Both Ways." It's got dragon puppies in it, so you know you want to read it. That link goes to the teaser excerpt; subscribers may read or listen to the whole thing (905 words) in PDF or MP3 formats depending on their pledge tier.
So that's it for new material in January! Over the weekend I'll release the Fictionette Freebie for January, then early next week I'll mail out the Fictionette Artifacts to the $5/month Patrons (you know who you are and I wuv you THIS MUCH), and then I'll be all caught up! ... until the first Friday in February. BUT I DO NOT INTEND TO GET BEHIND IN FEBRUARY.
Speaking of all things Friday Fictionette: 'Tis the season for authors to publish lists of their 2015 publications! Most of them, admittedly, do this because it's awards nomination season, and it's helpful to know what's eligible for 2015 awards. I am not going there in the slightest. I have not even bought the map to there. However, it seems like it might be useful to provide a hyperlinked list of all the Fictionette Freebies released in 2015, just to have them all in one place for your reading convenience. Thus:
- January: "The Metamorphosis of Anita Chaplain"
- February: "If on a Winter's Night Two Travellers..."
- March: "Please To Confirm Your Appointment with BRIGHT SMILES!"
- April: "The Hole in the Middle of the Block" (audio)
- May: "Because You Weren't There" (audio)
- June: "You Could Go a Long Way in Shoes Like Those" (audio)
- July: "And Did You Bring Enough for Everyone?" (audio)
- August: "How Featherkind Got Its Song" (audio)
- September: "The Celebrated Frog Forger of Clackamas County" (audio)
- October: "How the Lassie Didn't Go East of the Sun and West of the Moon" (audio)
- November: "In the Shadow of Next Tuesday" (audio)
- December: "The Thing with Feathers" (audio)
(In case you're wondering why there's no audio edition for January through March, well, I never managed to start producing them until April 2015. Eventually I will record MP3s for all the earlier fictionettes. For now, you got what you got.)
There! I'm more or less proud of them all. If you wind up reading them and enjoying them, great! And if you decide they're your kind of thing and you'd like four times as many of that sort of thing in your year, you know what to do.
This has been my shameless plug for the year.
In other news, I just discovered that the Whole Foods on Pearl Street will shuck you your choice of oysters on the half shell at a buck fifty per, and sometimes they run a buck-a-shuck special. Lunch today was amazing.